Children of the Glacier
A para-elemental subrace of the Genasi
The crisp, refreshing chill of a mountain stream fed by melted snow; the biting cold of a deep blizzard. These are at the heart of Ice Genasi.
The common joke is that Ice Genasi must be emotionless since they're so cold-hearted, but the truth is that Ice Genasi are among the most passionate of all Genasi (Para-, Quasi-, or otherwise). Like all Para- and Quasi-Genasi, the Children of the Glacier are intensely curious about the rest of the world, but the curiosity of Ice Genasi takes on a passionate (some say "desperate") edge. Common chant says that life in the frigid realms of the Ice Genasi doesn't swing much through any particular emotional extreme, since the natives there do tend to be a touch on the dispassionate side. So when the Ice Genasi venture out into the big, wide world, it seems they want to make up for lost time, and lost experiences.
In appearance, all Ice Genasi tend towards sharp, angular features. Additionally, they have one or more of the following traits:
- white or bluish-white hair and/or skin
- extremely cold flesh
- a thin layer of frost in their hair
- the faint sound of a snowstorm in their voice
3E Racial Traits
- +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
- Size: Medium
- Ice Genasi base speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision up to 60 feet.
- +1 racial bonus to their saving throws vs. Cold-based spells and effects. This bonus increases by +1 for every five character levels the Genasi attains.
- Outsider: Ice Genasi are outsiders. This means that they are vulnerable to any spell or weapon that affects extra-planar creatures (such as Banishment or a Sword of the Planes). However, it also makes them immune to spells which specifically target humanoids, such as Charm Person, Hold Person, etc.
- Surefooted: Ice Genasi can move across any icy surface at their normal movement rate, without any danger of slipping or falling.
- Cold Immunity: Ice Genasi are completely immune to the effects of non-magical cold. Magical cold does damage as normal.
- Frost: Ice Genasi have the ability to cast Frost once per day. Frost covers various surfaces with a thin layer of ice, but is otherwise identical to the 1st-level Wizard spell Grease. Ice Genasi can cast this spell as though they were a 5th level Wizard.
- Clerical Focus: An Ice Genasi cleric must follow a deity of air, water, cold, ice, or winter.
- Languages: Common, Auran, Aquan. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- ECL: +1